Monday, April 20, 2009

And now, what you've all been waiting for...

An update on the weaning process!

We're done. She's weaned. I'm FREEEEEE!!! She nursed for the last time last Wednesday, and it's kind of been a rough process. I'm not sure if it would have been better to just do it cold turkey. Because she went through withdrawals every time I dropped a nursing. And now that she's done I can tell she's still a little miffed at me. She hasn't forgotten about it quite yet. I remember the intense feeling of relief and freedom I felt when Caleb was weaned. I felt like a huge burden had been lifted off my shoulders. And now that Grace is done...

I'm sad.

I miss it.

I know...looking back at this post, and this post, you would not think that I would be the least bit sad, but I am. I think the reason for this is that Caleb had no problem drinking formula, and then later milk. Grace still thinks that milk is "death juice." She just does not care for it at all. So the relief that I should be feeling is overshadowed with worry that she's not getting enough nutrients or calories. So, all I can do now is keep feeding her cheese and yogurt, and hope that she'll warm up to the milk once she forgets what breast milk tastes like.

I am, however, highly enjoying eating whatever the heck I want to!! Within reason, of course...


(yes, I know she's holding a toilet plunger)

And now that we've made it through weaning Grace, we now have to think about weaning Caleb....from this:



Yes, Caleb still has a binky. But, in my defense, he only has it for naps and bedtime. But still. He's almost three and a half years old. I have a feeling that when Glen is with the kids while I'm gone next weekend, the binky is going to mysteriously disappear. I'm just happy that I won't be around for that. May the Force be with you, Glen.

7 comments:

  1. Rachel, I know how you feel about the weaning process. Ashton never took a bottle ever and never drank milk. He still doesn't drink milk. Don't worry about it. If she is eating dairy products she will be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!!! See you in a week or so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on weaning Grace. My two cents for the binky weaning - don't worry! We took Kathryn's away when she was about 2 1/2 and it made her stop taking naps, even though she still needed them. In the past year she has taken about 3 naps. And I am about 99% sure she would have napped everyday for at least 6 months if she still had her pacifier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about Grace, Quinn's allergic to ALL dairy. Try giving Grace rice milk. It taste a lot different but if she hates cows milk she might like it. Quinn sure does. And about the binky, Caleb is officially the oldest kid I have ever known to have one. But , who cares, as long as he doesn't have it in public. No one has to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH!! Congratulations! How does the chocolate taste?
    Freedom is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We dropped the binky this week too! And so did another friend of mine. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. He just had it for sleeping too. I just cut a little bit of the tip off. He was mad at first, and i still gave it to him for sleeping, but he would just chew on it, and then let it go. 2 days later he even sees it on the floor and doesn't even notice it anymore. Way to go Max!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, congratulations! I may need some tips because I'm planning to start weaning Spencer as soon as he's feeling better. He takes formula from a bottle once a day, but pretty much no other liquid other than breast milk. I'm going to be a little sad when he's weaned too. I've been lucky and haven't had any diet restrictions to make nursing difficult. Good luck with the binky!

    ReplyDelete