Here is a picture of her after naptime. I will post captions under the pictures that tell what she would have been saying if she could talk (also, I'm sure she would wear a different shirt that replaces "love" with "hate"):
"Um, okay this has been a fun little experiment, Mom. But SERIOUSLY, I'm ready to nurse!!"
"Why are you just standing there making dinner, you insensitive fool?! I'm THIRSTY!! WAAAAA!!!"
*************************************************************************************
And then we have today. Here is how she was beginning immediately after her morning nap:
"Pleeeease nuuuuurse meeeeee! What is this white crap you're trying to give me?!" (notice the sippy cup of milk that she angrily tossed aside)
"Are you freaking KIDDING ME?!?"
She (and I) was pretty exhausted after all that crying:
*************************************************************************************
So after her nap today, I caved and gave her some apple juice:
"Thank you, Mom. Thank you for not making me drink any more of the that death juice (AKA milk)."
Hang in there, Rachel! I don't have any experience with weaning, but it reminds me of the Jenna glasses battle. Trying to keep her glasses on her was one of the most frustrating things in the world. I just had to keep putting them back on her time after time after time, and she would actually pull them off, throw them and scream! It was bad times, but EVENTUALLY she kept them on, and now it's second nature to her. I know you'll get there with Grace, and I don't think it will take as long (the whole Jenna thing took weeks), because she needs to drink something!
ReplyDeleteWay to go! I probably would have given in by that point. I don't know how you had the sanity to take pictures during all of that. She looks a lot like Caleb in those last two pictures. We're excited to see Glen tomorrow and wish we could see you and the kids too!
ReplyDeleteHi! This is Lesley Larson...(of Scott and Lesley Larson) You probably don't remember us... but we lived across the street from you in Wymount when Caleb was born, and played Inter-tube-Water Polo with Glen... I just found your blog on Vicky D.'s blog. It is fun to 'see' you guys again!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I went through something similar weaning our oldest boy Ian last year, and thought I would share what finally worked for us, after a two week liquid strike: whole milk tainted with apple juice. We call if apple-milk around here. :) I started by making the cup of milk about equal parts juice and milk. And once he would drink it readily I would decrease the juice. Nasty, I know. But it worked for us. And he still asks for it sometimes, almost a year later. GOOD LUCK! You have an adorable family.
Kerry - Keeping Jenna's glasses on her must have been so frustrating! She probably thought you were trying to torture her. I hope the weaning thing doesn't take weeks!
ReplyDeleteKristin - Taking pictures of the crying is actually what kept me sane. I just kept thinking, "I need to keep taking pictures because this will be a great blog post." Is that mean?
Lesley - Of course I remember you guys! How are you doing?? Thanks for the suggestion, I'm totally going to try that. She would drink juice all day if that's all I gave her. So maybe she'll warm up to milk if I "taint" it :) Good to hear from you!
I wish I had some spectacular sisterly advice to give you but I don't. You're doing great at what you're doing. Stay strong! And wait several years before having another baby.
ReplyDeleteWow Rachel, good job. That would be really hard to not cave in. Good luck and keep it up.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had some spectacular advice as well, but I don't.
P.S. Grace is so beautiful!
ReplyDeletehahahahahaha, i always wonder what kids think when we take pictures of them throwing fits. Hang in there!!
ReplyDelete