Friday, April 10, 2009

Family Adventure Day!

Glen and I had a conversation a few weeks ago about how our house has been consuming our lives since we moved in, and we never have any family fun. So we have declared one Saturday a month to be an official Family Adventure Day (or FAD, kind of a lame abbreviation, I know)!

Our first adventure was a couple of weeks ago. There is a community center in a city north of us that has an awesome indoor pool with a water slide, lazy river, and little kids play area. We realized immediately how sheltered and unadventurized (yes I made that up) our kids are, because, no joke, it took us 45 minutes to get Caleb to step a foot in the pool. 45 minutes.

This is where he sat for those 45 minutes:



Then, Glen picked him up and tried to get him to have fun on this delightful looking contraption:



The boy. went. nuts. We're talking full out Tasmanian devil thrashing, folks. He ran down the steps so fast he ended up slipping like three times, scraping his knee and getting all kinds of bruises.





Somehow, Glen was able to coax Caleb into putting his feet in the water. And then he sat down in the shallow part and actually enjoyed splashing, but he would not let Glen move from this position:




And that's where Caleb played for 8 minutes before family swim was over and it was time to go home. All things considered, we had a good time, and hopefully it won't take Caleb more than 30 minutes to get in the pool next time.

Grace was a little nervous about the water at first. Mostly, I think, because it was a bit chilly. But she warmed up to it and had a good time. Here are some pictures of her in all her cute Gracieness.



2 comments:

  1. Definitely not an Arizona boy. I would strongly encourage swim lessons this summer. Can't wait to hear how that will go. Funny Caleb, I really must live closer to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Family Adventure Day idea! We tend to get stuck in the Saturday = work day rut too. Poor Caleb. We hope next time goes better!

    ReplyDelete