And this is what my kitchen looked like in the mean time. BAH!!
Here is a picture that depicts how Glen looked and felt after taking out the old oil furnace.
And this is where Glen can be found most of the time; down in the basement working away!
So I have a story to go along with the picture of Glen after taking out the furnace. As soon as he detached the furnace down in the basement, a monster cloud of black soot went EVERYWHERE (in the basement). So Glen gets cleaned up and builds a fire in our fireplace (because we have no heat at this point) and takes off to Lowes with Caleb to pick up some things. Meanwhile, I'm in Grace's room putting her down for a nap. I come out of her room and into the living room and there are several BURNING logs on the hearth filling the whole house with smoke!! So I frantically start trying to throw all these logs back in the fireplace, burning my face off in the process, and the smoke alarm starts going off. So I run over, find the first blanket I see and start fanning the alarm until it stops shrieking. Then I run back over and continue burning my face off getting the rest of the logs back in the fireplace, and the smoke alarm goes off again. I got all the logs contained, and continued fanning the alarm each time it went off, I think it was about 5 or 6 times. I open up all the windows in the house and turn on all fans to air out the house, which has now become a smoke pit. So much for lighting a nice fire to keep warm (note to self, NEVER leave a fire in the fireplace unattended, even for a minute).
So after that mega crisis is over, I start noticing that our floors upstairs look really dirty. Well, all the soot down in the basement leaked up through the vents and the cracks in the floor and ended up on EVERY surface in my house!! I didn't realize just how dirty everything was until Grace got up from her nap. She crawled around for 30 seconds and her hands and knees were BLACK. So I'm having a nervous break down at this point because I can't believe how DIRTY everything is, and how am I supposed to clean all this up and keep the kids out of the way?? So when Glen came home, I kept the kids out of the way while Glen vacuumed and wiped all the floors down with a wet towel (we have wood floors throughout the house, by the way). I think our house mostly smells normal now, and the floors are only somewhat soot-y.
Oh Rachel, I wish I was there to help you. This is unbelievable. I feel so helpless. Did this all happen after I talked to you? I hope you have a less eventful day tomorrow. Love you!
ReplyDeleteRachel!! I am so excited that you have a blog now!! But I am so sorry you had that crazy experience!! I hope your house gets back to normal soon!
ReplyDeleteGotta love fixer upper houses! I had to smile bc I can commisserate with you. We are having similiar experiences and Home depot/Lowes has become our best friend too. :) I'm so glad you blog now! I m excited to see you at the reunion!
ReplyDeleteThat sooty picture of Glen is classic! I could hardly recognize him, and had to stare at the picture of this random crazy hill-billy trying to figure out who in the heck it was. Good thing there was a caption below. Keep up the good work on the home improvements, hopefully that will be Vicky and I soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry about all of the soot! What a nightmare! We love the pictures though and hope your house gets put back together soon.
ReplyDelete