Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I'm Tired

I'm tired. Do you know what time it is now? It's 9:10 a.m. Caleb has now been awake for four hours and twenty minutes. Yes, you did the math correctly. Caleb woke up at 4:50 a.m. FOUR-FREAKING-FIFTY in the morning!!! Is this some kind of joke? Seriously. It all started a couple of weeks ago when he started waking up between 6 and 6:30. He has a child proof lock on the inside of his door (trust me, it's necessary. And he can actually remove it and come out of his room if he really wants to). Anyway, he would wake up and get out of bed and start playing with his toys, loudly. Then, over the weekend, he woke up at 5:30 a.m. two days in a row. Enough is enough at that point, I honestly didn't think it could get any earlier than that. What am I supposed to do at this point? Drop his nap? I don't think I'm ready for that yet. I need his nap just as much as I think he does. Now I'm starting to think he needs it less than me. I tried skipping his nap about a week ago, and he still woke up at like 6:00 the next morning, and the rest of the day was complete misery for everyone.

So with all this waking up too early, I know he has NOT been getting enough sleep (even with his nap) because he has turned into a creature that I hardly recognize. And as a result, I am turning into a creature that I hardly recognize. I seriously cannot get the child to do anything without MAJOR sirens and waterworks. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm abusing him because the screaming and crying is RI-DI-CU-LOUS. Any suggestions? I'm considering skipping his nap today even though he's going to be a total beast without it.

Glen and I have not been getting enough sleep either because of this dang house. Remember my last post about full speed ahead? I am so done. I. Am. So. Done. Everything is more stressful without adequate sleep, and I'm reaching the end of my rope. We're leaving on vacation in just over a week, and supposedly it will all be finished by the time we leave...

Here's hoping for some serious zzzzzzz's soon, folks!

6 comments:

  1. First off, I love the pic you have of Caleb snoozin' in his carseat! Second, I am very against giving advice when unsolicited, but since you asked I'll just say this: sleep begets sleep (I didn't come up with that on my own--wish I had, I'd probably be a millionare!). So basically, the old adage that says "if you keep them up later or skip their nap, they'll sleep better" is way off. Basically, I'd definitely stick to the nap, then I'd try putting him down 15-20 minutes earlier. If he's still waking up early, try 15-20 minutes earlier the next night. I know it goes against logic, but it's how young children's bodies work. I got this info from my favorite sleep book: Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child, by Marc Weissbluth. It's based on lots of different scientific studies rather than on popular philosophies,which is a lot of what we hear today. I've never tried this with 4 yr olds, but it works every time w/ Parker and with other parents I know who've tried it w/ their kids!
    Good luck and I'm sorry I wrote a novel! I hope you find something that works for him and you! --Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to write something similar to Anna! You really should read the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book (a girl at Ian's work lent it too me.
    I was having trouble with Ember and it worked. Sleep does seem to beget sleep. Don't skip the nap...I tried it; Doesn't work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really have any advice, since I'm having the same problem with Katie! I've had to put the girls in the same room because of the way our new place is set up. There's a loft which can't really be used as a third bedroom because it's open to the rest of the house. My sort-of-solution with Katie has been to stuff her really full of milk right before she goes down, and that's worked for the past two nights. I know that won't work for Caleb, though! I'll have to check out the book that Anna and Jennie mentioned.

    I hope things get better! I know that I get really difficult to live with when I don't get enough sleep, and I've seen Caleb's tantrums before, so I really hope that he starts sleeping more soon! That is NO FUN for Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rachel. I'm sorry sorry sorry and sorry. I agree with the other two, definitely don't skip naps. In my experience if they are ready to drop naps they don't go to sleep at night, rather than get up early. So if he still goes to sleep fine at bedtime, keep the nap. I don't really know what to tell you, but make it as boring and as horrible as possible to get up that early. That sounds kind of dumb, but I really think it might work. Good luck!! BTW, are you coming here for your vacation?? Will you have any time to get together?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally know your pain with waking up early and not napping. Spencer does that every once in awhile, but fortunately, it's not a habit. Maybe kind of a silly question, but is his room getting too light in the mornings now that it's summer? Spencer woke up really early in AZ until I put a blanket over the window. Good luck with Caleb and good luck with your race in Utah (if you're still doing it!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. RACHEL!! It's Katy from Campus Plaza!! (you may also remember me as Chelsea's gorgeous, funny roommate at EAC before I came to BYU). I still keep in touch with Chelsea and check her blog constantly, and every so often I think "I should find out if Rachel has a blog..." You were on her list this whole time probably!

    You have adorable kids and having just barely had our second I need some advice for this whole twosome-kids thing...it's going to be an adventure for sure!

    I'm sure I'll be back to check in on you. You look as fun and beautiful as I remember you!

    ReplyDelete